Monday, December 06, 2004

The Trouble With Texas

I was going to post a response to the comments in my last post, but Aaron got so lengthy in his comments, and I love him for that, that I decided this needed to be a new post for cosmetic reasons.

Most importantly, Sandy Barbour resigned Tedford so she can stay as Athletic Director.

So, I studied Texas' "body of work" and found that they won by 2 points over Arkansas (5-6) and won by four points with 11 seconds remaining over Kansas (4-7) in a game that was only close on account of a questionable offensive pass interference call against Kansas. All of this was noted by ESPN's Pat Forde, but nobody else that I read.

I started this research in response to a columnist (Pete Fiutak of collegefootballnews.com whose work I admire greatly) who claimed both that he appreciated Tedford's class in not running up the score on Southern Miss, and that the BCS "worked" by picking Texas over Cal. He wrote back that "Texas has some far better wins on its resume than Cal does." so I researched further, and wrote back:

I guess I just don't believe in Texas Tech, or Texas A & M either. I mean if you lose to New Mexico and Baylor, respectively, it's kind of like Oregon losing to Indiana. The Oregon win didn't count as significant except that it wasn't a loss. As for struggling with Oregon, they do in essence have Cal's playbook since Tedford was their OC in his last position. Maybe New Mexico's coach used to work at Texas Tech, or perhaps the Big 12 is overrated, we'll find out December 30.

Upon further statistical review, Aaron Rodgers and J.J. Arrington do compare reasonably to a Big 12 team's tandem, but it's Oklahoma, not Texas. Texas is a one dimensional running team that I hope gets beaten in the Rose Bowl like they did in the Holiday Bowl last year after Mack Brown whined about not being included in the BCS. Texas ranks 104th in the nation in passing offense and their defense is almost as good as Cal's giving up 2 points more on average than do the Golden Bears.

Now all that Cal can do is shellack Texas Tech and show the nation that the Big 12 is not really that great, even in the South. Just because people can't talk about anything but football doesn't mean that they are any better at playing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home